Sunday, September 1, 2013

Why I decided to become a Doula.

I've recently gone from private to quite public on my decision to become a Birth Doula here in Sacramento. Some of my friends are asking why. The answer is long and personal. 

When I found out I was pregnant, my husband and I had only been married 2 years. We were 19 and 20, and not ready, nor were we planning on children. I had worked in hospitals since I was 15, and had gone to school to become an RN and an EMT, and had spent years working in hospice care and I thought I knew everything there was about labor and delivery.
But when it came down to it, everything I thought I knew was useless. My Dr and I were not on the same page, my birthing group had no plan, and my birth with my son was a horrifying 3 days of pain, exhaustion and confusion. I vowed I would never let one of my friends endure what I did. And I also told myself that my next birth would be different.
But when my son was 2 I was diagnosed with an Endocrine disorder, that has left me unable to have any more children. So I did what I could to help my friends through their pregnancies and deliveries, never knowing how valuable the help was that I provided.
Eventually I went back to college to become a Veterinary Technician, and through the Vet Hospital who hired me, I met a fantastic woman who was a birth Doula. We had an instant connection. She told me about her Birthing stories, and I used my Hospice Care experience to help her with the loss of a dear pet. One day she surprised me by telling me that she thought I would make a wonderful Doula.
Shortly thereafter I left the Vet Hospital. Her and I stayed in contact via FaceBook, and every time I saw her face on my wall I remembered her words. So I started reading. I read and studied everything I could get my hands on about labor and delivery. Telling myself it was Just to Add to my knowledge. Until I had the opportunity to start using what I knew. That first birth, my head filled with everything I had learned, changed me. And I knew I needed to do this with my life. 
I felt my old Labor and Delivery wounds healing. I felt at peace. I felt as though I had finally found who I was supposed to be.
All of my schooling, training and experience had never prepared me for what it was like to be confident in myself. This is what I am good at! I want to help woman give birth in their own way. 

So I have decided to become a Birth Doula. I have participated in 27 births now. Some were home births, some were hospital births, water births, and even Cesarean sections. And all are precious in my memories. 

I plan to use this blog to discuss what I am learning and experiencing through this adventure. I hope you enjoy it. 
For more information please feel free to check me out on Facebook, at Miss Doula.





Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your thoughts, and I will try to get back to you.

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML